Friday, October 1, 2010

We Can Do Anything by Working with Each Other!e

Cheese, cheese, cheese title, I know. It's a song from the Garbage Pail Kids movie, and it's on during a typical 80s movie scene: there's a major obstacle that prevents the characters from achieving some kind of we're-the-underdogs, but-we-can-totally-DO-THIS-type goal, so there's a hark-work-pays-off montage with something upbeat and inspirational playing the background. I started thinking about this song today after a couple of texts from Dude this morning, freaking out about his truck not working. If his truck doesn't work, how's he going to get here? He could just wait, push back the move date, and work for a while longer until he can afford something. The problem with that is that I'm turning 30 in three weeks, and I really want him to be there. Part of the whole plan will have to be changed if he won't be there. I'll still have an old friend to hang out with, but this birthday's a big deal to me (well, all birthdays are a big deal to me, but especially this one. It's totally a milestone, after all) and I just really want him there in time for it. Renting something is exorbitantly expensive. Buying another vehicle in the next two weeks is unaffordable (I think?), unless he's willing to do something drastic like use a credit card. I know, I know, it's horrible. The debt is expensive as shit, the rates are too high, and it takes forever to pay them off, not to mention the fact that if something happens to the car, you still have to pay the ridiculous card bills. It's a very extreme decision. However, that option is what made me start thinking about the song. Between my prodding and his will, we can make him coming here happen, one way or another. I have that kind of attitude because being persistent has been a huge part of my personality for as long as I can remember. It probably started because my parents never really told me no. I kind of got to do whatever I wanted, and get whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it. I was an only child for four years and my parents were old enough to not be scraping-the-barrel-broke. I never wanted for anything, as the saying goes, and I guess that stuck with me. They remained lax and yielding to me, and I learned to get what I wanted. This, of course, doesn't apply to everything in my life, but when I can control it in any way, I do. I get that this could sound a little unstable, and I understand, but it works for me, so whatever.
So the whole point of the rambling is that if I were in the situation Dude's in, I'd simply find a way. I'd use a credit card, if I had to. I'd take out way more student loans than necessary. I would sell all my earthly possessions. He doesn't even have pets to deal with. They complicated this process more than I could have ever imagined. If absolutely nothing else, he could pack what he can carry and/or check, and buy a plane ticket with the $500 deposit he got back from the house. I wanted this and needed this, really, so, so, SO badly that I would've done whatever I had to do to get here. I didn't have to go to extremes, but I am taking on a fat pile of debt. Again. I'm looking forward, though, to the much better paying job I'll get when I'm done here in two plus years.
Maybe this all just means that he doesn't want this badly enough. Maybe he doesn't want his life to change as much as I did. I guess that if that's the case, it's probably best that he makes excuses and talks his way out of it, or he'll just be miserable, which won't be any fun for me, either. Just because this is what's right for me, doesn't necessarily mean it's right for him, I suppose. I think it's totally worth it for him and that he just needs a combination of open-mindedness and adventure and he'll be great here. It's not for me to decide, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment